A keto diet is in fad these days and is the diet that is very popular amongst celebrities. The diet is infamously also called the diet for the richer sections of the society. However owing to the benefits that it has in dealing with weight reduction and other issues like lactose intolerance, diabetes, age reversal it is totally worth the penny spent. Also if you follow the tips properly your budget will not be disturbed much.
How does it work?
The diet is the low carb diet, where the body produces ketones in the liver to be used as energy, it is also known as the low carb diet, low carb high fat (LCHF).
As you eat something that is high in carbs, your body will produce glucose and insulin.
- Glucose is the easiest molecule for the body to convert and use as energy and thus it is used over any other source of energy.
- Insulin- is produced to process the glucose in the bloodstream by taking it around the body.
As the body is using glucose as the primary energy, your fats are needed and therefore it is stored. Usually, on a high carbohydrate diet, glucose is used as the main form of energy thus by lowering the intake of carbs the body is in the state of ketosis.
Ketosis is a natural process that helps us to survive when food intake is low. At this time ketones are produced from the breakdown of fats in the liver. It is a diet where you need to consume only proteins and fats but no carbohydrates. There is no caloric deficiency but starvation of carbohydrates. Thus when a body is overloaded with fat but no carbohydrates it will begin to burn ketones as the main source of energy.
What to eat in the Keto diet?
- Meats – fish, beef, lamb, poultry, eggs, etc.
- Leafy Greens – spinach, kale, etc.
- Above ground vegetables – broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
- High Fat Dairy – hard cheeses, high fat cream, butter, etc.
- Nuts and seeds – macadamias, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
- Avocado and berries – raspberries, blackberries, and other low glycemic impact berries
- Sweeteners – stevia, erythritol, monk fruit
- Other fats – coconut oil, high-fat salad dressing, saturated fats, etc.
What to avoid in the keto diet?
- Grains – wheat, corn, rice, cereal, etc.
- Sugar – honey, agave, maple syrup, etc.
- Fruit – apples, bananas, oranges, etc.
- Tubers – potato, yams,
More than a diet it’s a lifestyle and till you are in the diet for a specific reason there are no cheat days.